GIFT GIVERS FAMILY SUPPORT
First Nations and Métis children, youth and families are over-represented in the child welfare system. The majority of these clients are Aboriginal – First Nations and Métis. Their numbers have been increasing over recent decades.
The Gift Givers Family Support Worker works collaboratively with the Ministry in order to keep children safe and out of care through the strengthening of families by:
- Developing plans of care with families involved with the MCFD.
- Supporting children living with families that are impacted by issues of violence, addictions, generational abuse and trauma to ensure they are kept safe.
- Improving the ability of the caregivers to provide safe and nurturing homes for children.
- Offering group work with individuals and families to increase parenting skills.
- Working with families to increase parental confidence.
- Assisting parents to recognize and understand abuse dynamics in order to improve their parenting skills and methods.
- Improving child and parent relationships through life skills education supporting parents with effective parenting
The Family Support Worker works directly with parents and caregivers to assist them in understanding family safety risks, how to alleviate the risks, and grow as a strong, healthy family unit.
FIRST NATIONS, METIS, INUIT AND COMMUNITY CHILDREN AND FAMILY SUPPORT SERVICES
The Gift Givers Family Support Worker will provide prevention and early intervention services to Aboriginal children and families at high risk; implement and evaluate adequate, appropriate short-term and long-term programs and services (work plans) with
Aboriginal individuals and families, in the area of child welfare prevention consistent with the Ministry of Community Child and Family Services and or other delegated service providers.
Our Services are free and available to all community members. Whether your a mother, father, or grandparent we are here to support you.
You can access services by calling us directly or having a social worker or agency representative refer you to the Family Support Program
“There is no trust more sacred than the one the world holds with children. There is no duty more important than ensuring that their rights are respected, that their welfare is protected, that they can grow in peace.”
GIFT GIVERS WOMEN'S EMPOWERMENT GROUP
The Gift Givers Program offers women the opportunity to discuss the following topics in a safe, non-judgemental environment and to empower the Spirit.
- Building Self Esteem
- Relationship Violence
- Conflict Resolution/Anger Management
- Communication Skills/ Effective Listening
- Medicine Wheel - Life Balance
Eligibility for this program:
This program is open to all individuals that are ready to make positive changes.
*all participants will be required to complete an intake assessment process to define eligibility, suitability and readiness.
Call to register 250- 554-1176!
Our Services are free and available to all community members.