Supporting Development and Growth in Children and Family
The Gift Givers Family Support Program is a unique community-based program established to support the right of primary responsibility of Aboriginal families to protect and support the growth and development of their children.
The program uses a decolonizing, anti-oppressive social work practice approach to support parent’s growth and personal development so the risk of child removal is diminished.
Program Goals include:
- Strengthening family connections
- Repairing family wounds/stories
- Creating healthy relationships
- Reconnecting with parent roles and responsibilities
- Increasing confidence in the strength of family traditions and culture
When First Nations Band of Aboriginal Community representation is unavailable or unwanted, an Aboriginal representative will provide the support.
- Support for families facing child protection involvement
- Parenting groups and personal development programs
- One-to-one wellness wheel balancing
- Relationship strengthening (couples and parent/child)
- Support with ‘parenting after separation’ course
We use a holistic approach, and work to understand each family’s unique situation.